“Tesla is cooking with gas while Renault-Nissan has dropped the ball,” told me a media colleague the other day. His name shall remain unmentioned, not only due to his use of inappropriately mixed metaphors. His comment made me dig up some numbers, and the result of the digging is that the Renault-Nissan Alliance remains the world’s EV leader, selling more than double the number of electric cars the allegedly gas-cooking Tesla could move.
April 7, 2017 By
April 7, 2017 By
- Ford plans to launch Ranger pickup truck in China in 2018 – Reuters: Ford Motor Co plans to launch its mid-size Ranger pickup truck in China in 2018, hoping to draw more Chinese consumers, who generally prefer sport-utility vehicles (SUVs), towards a new segment of cars.
- Softbank-backed Ola ramps up electric vehicles push in India – Yahoo: NEW DELHI () – Indian ride-hailing firm Ola, backed by Japan’s Softbank Group, is preparing for a large-scale rollout of electric vehicles by next year even as it runs trials on the viability of the business model, Chief Executive Bhavish …
- Ford to sell Ranger pickup in China – Automotive News: Ford plans to launch the midsize Ranger pickup truck in China in 2018, hoping to draw more Chinese consumers, who generally prefer crossovers and SUVs, toward a different market segment.
April 5, 2017 By
- Mitsubishi to play key role in global assault on car giants – FT: But when executives from Nissan were parachuted into the scandal-scarred Japanese carmaker six months ago, they faced a task so mountainous…
- Amazon acquires right to buy stake in fuel cell maker Plug Power – Reuters: Amazon.com Inc has acquired the right to buy up to 23 percent of hydrogen fuel cell maker Plug Power Inc , in a deal giving the retailer powerful batteries that promise to speed up work in its warehouses, Plug Power said on Wednesday.
- China’s SAIC Motor posts higher profit; cautions 2017 sales growth to slow – Reuters: China’s largest automaker SAIC Motor Corp Ltd posted a 7.4 percent jump in 2016 profits, slightly lower than it had expected, and cautioned sales growth will slow this year as the country rolls back a tax cut on small-engine cars.
- 2018 Aston Martin Vantage spotted Nurburgring testing – on video – Autocar: The new Aston Martin Vantage has been spotted testing on the Nürburgring, ahead of its launch next year. Model features a Mercedes-sourced turbocharged 4.0-litre petrol V8, shared with the upcoming DB11 V8
April 4, 2017 By
- Volvo recruits former BMW, GM exec to lead procurement – Automotive News: Volvo has lured former BMW and General Motors purchasing executive Martina Buchhauser to lead procurement at the fast-expanding automaker.
- Another black eye for Uber after police find fake badge, gun in driver’s car – CNBC: A 57-year-old Uber driver has been arrested in South Carolina for having a loaded gun in his car.
- EU Industry chief sees ‘fast’ phase-out of diesel post-VW scandal – Reuters: Europe’s industry chief said she saw diesel engines disappearing from markets much faster than expected as the European Parliament on Tuesday endorsed tougher rules aimed at preventing a rerun of the Volkswagen emissions cheating scandal.
April 3, 2017 By
- Tesla delivers quarterly record of 25000 vehicles in first quarter – Reuters: Tesla delivers quarterly record of 25,000 vehicles in first quarter … Tesla has said it expects to deliver 47,000 to 50,000 Model S and Model X vehicles …
- Maruti Suzuki posts slowest sales gain in 3 months on weak India small car demand – Nikkei: Maruti Suzuki India, the nation’s largest car maker, reported its slowest sales growth in three months in March, as demand for…
- American Honda Nets New March Sales Records – Yahoo: Honda Division was up 1.8 percent on sales of 125,531 units while Honda trucks set a new March record, gaining 12.6 percent on sales of 61,975.
- Uber Self-Driving Program Hits Another Pothole – WSJ: PITTSBURGH-A pilot program that allowed Uber Technologies Inc. to launch its first self-driving cars in this former steel town has hit a road bump.
March 31, 2017 By
- Is Jaguar Land Rover looking to an all-electric future? – Autocar: Here’s what we think the 2019 Jaguar XF might look like… Names suggest this British brand is thinking very seriously about electrification across its whole range
- Uber Robocar Project at Risk as Engineer May Face Charges – Bloomberg: A judge said he’s inclined to slap an order on Uber Technologies Inc. that may impede its self-driving car program after being told its director won’t…
- Renault counts on SUVs to maintain sales growth – Automotive News: Renault is counting on SUVs to maintain sales momentum in Europe, Thierry Koskas, the automaker’s sales and marketing chief, said.
March 30, 2017 By
- Bugatti Chiron gallery: the numbers behind the £2.5 million hypercar – Autocar: The Bugatti Chiron is the successor to the 987bhp Bugatti Veyron Three helicopters and 7.4 shots – find out the more surprising numbers involved with the world’s fastest production car
- SpaceX to launch first reused rocket, testing cost-cutting model – Reuters: SpaceX is aiming for another space industry first on Thursday when it plans to launch a Falcon 9 rocket that has flown before, a key step in billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk’s quest to cut the cost of space flight.
- BMW 2 Series Active Tourer facelift due next year – Autocar: Visually and technically refreshed MPV will likely retain engine line-up that’s crowned by a plug-in hybrid
March 29, 2017 By
- Ford says it will spend $295 million on two new recalls – Reuters: Ford Motor Co , the second largest U.S. automaker, on Wednesday announced two new recalls affecting 440,000 vehicles and expects to spend about $295 million to fix the issues.
- Audi’s unions demand electric model for main German plant – Reuters: Labor leaders at Volkswagen’s luxury Audi brand have asked top management to assign production of an all-electric model to the carmaker’s main plant in Germany, concerned they might lose out as electric cars gain in importance.
- Tesla: A Little Optimism, Please? – Barrons: March is slowly coming to an end-and that means we can expect Tesla (TSLA) to update investors on its first-quarter car deliveries, perhaps as soon as next week. JOHANNES EISELE/AFP/Getty Images. So far, the analysts we’ve heard from have been fairly…