When will Chinese carmakers follow the Japanese, and Korean example, and take over the world? If it happens, who will it be? Sitting at a desk overlooking a glitzy Shanghai skyline that can put Manhattan, or downtown Tokyo to shame, I predict that scrappy Geely will be at the vanguard of Chinese automakers to take on the world. I write this after having seen Geely’s R&D center in Hangzhou, after having talked to its production engineers in Geely’s hometown some three hours south of Shanghai, and after having been granted a rare glimpse behind the closed doors of the company’s design studios in Shanghai. I am rarely impressed, but I am.
April 24, 2017 By
April 24, 2017 By
- The Electric Car Revolution Now Faces Its Biggest Test – Bloomberg: The Tesla exception shows what happens when an electric car reaches parity with fuel-burning competitors in both price and function. Unlike the Leaf and the BMW i3, the Tesla Model S is quicker than similarly priced gasoline cars, has a long driving …
- Cobalt Prices To Rocket As Tesla And Apple Scramble For Supplies – Yahoo: GM, Toyota and Ford have no battery manufacturing experience, and all are taking cue from Tesla and China’s BYD because they make both. Likewise, Volkswagen, BMW and Mercedes don’t produce batteries, sourcing them to Samsung, LG Chem and…
- Tesla’s big Model 3 bet rides on risky assembly line strategy – Reuters: Tesla Inc Chief Executive Elon Musk took many risks with the technology in his company’s cars on the way to surpassing Ford Motor Co’s market value.
- Audi A8 to beat Mercedes-Benz S-Class as first fully autonomous car – Autocar: Next-generation model of Audi’s flagship saloon will be capable of Level 3 autonomy when it goes on sale later this year
April 17, 2017 By
April 14, 2017 By
- Fiat Chrysler CEO says first-quarter 2017 was difficult, doesn’t change targets – Reuters: The first quarter of 2017 was “difficult” for carmaker Fiat Chrysler but this will not affect the company’s targets for this year and next, Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne said on Friday.
- Suzuki, Toshiba, Denso to start India lithium-ion battery JV – Reuters: Suzuki Motor Corp, Toshiba Corp and Denso Corp on Friday said they would form a joint venture to produce lithium-ion batteries for automobiles in India, where auto emission regulations are tightening to deal with pollution problems.
- Elon Musk Says Tesla Will Unveil an Electric Semi Truck In September – Fortune: Tesla (tsla) CEO Elon Musk has announced that the electric car company will unveil its first semi truck in September, followed by a pickup truck model…
April 13, 2017 By
- Self-driving start-up set to roll out first laser sensors – Reuters: … Russell said Lidars for self-driving cars on the market were developed from hardware that …
- A 22-Year-Old CEO Has A Vision For Making Self-Driving Cars A Reality – Forbes: As a teenager, Austin Russell started thinking about creating better 3D imaging technology while spending his last couple years of high school at the…
- Ford first-quarter China sales slump more than one-fifth as tax cut rolled back – Reuters: Ford Motor Co said on Thursday that its China vehicle sales fell by 21 percent in the first quarter compared with a year ago, after a tax cut on small-engined vehicles was rolled back.
April 12, 2017 By
- GM’s ‘Unbranded’ ad for Chevy Malibu wins new Nielsen award – Automotive News: Chevrolet’s “Unbranded” ad for the 2016 Malibu won the first-ever Automotive Tech Ad of the Year award from Nielsen during the 11th annual Automotive Advertising Awards at the New York auto show.
- Tesla Investors Press for Board Members Without Ties to Musk – Bloomberg: … board directors who don’t have ties to Elon Musk, a sign that concerns over the electric-car maker’s corporate governance remain as its shares soar.
- McLaren 720S to launch in China with 570GT Commemorative Edition – Autocar: New supercar to arrive at Shanghai motor show as British brand looks to increase presence in market
- Mercedes vs. Tesla Is an Epic Tale – Bloomberg: Especially when you consider that Daimler’s mighty Mercedes-Benz unit sold two million cars for the first time last year. Tesla sold fewer than 80,000.
April 11, 2017 By
- FedEx Freight calls for US self-driving truck laws – FT: While many self-driving car companies have lobbied to test passenger vehicles with no human drivers (and even no steering wheels), large logistics…
- Cadillac Fairview to Launch National Electric Vehicle Charging Program – Yahoo: Cadillac Fairview (CF) is pleased to announce its national electric vehicle (EV) charging program, with plans to…
- Mercedes-Benz Canada inks deal with Live Nation Canada – Yahoo: Mercedes-Benz Canada is pleased to announce a multi-year partnership with live entertainment leader Live Nation…
- Mahindra & Mahindra, SsangYong to develop electric SUVs by 2020 – Reuters: MUMBAI, April 11 Indian automaker Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd and its Korean unit SsangYong Motor Co plan to jointly develop a platform to manufacture electric sport-utility vehicles (SUV) by 2020, the companies said on Tuesday. “We are now very diligently …
April 10, 2017 By
- China’s SAIC says not signed formal agreement to buy GM’s India plant – Reuters: SAIC Motor Corp has not signed any formal agreement with General Motors to take over the latter’s car plant in the western Indian state of Gujarat, the Chinese automaker said in a statement on Monday.
- Tesla just got its highest price forecast ever from a major Wall Street analyst – CNBC: Piper on Monday raised its price target on Tesla to $368 from $223, representing more than 20 percent upside from Friday’s close. The move amounts to the highest price target on Wall Street from a major research firm, according to FactSet. Dougherty & Co.
- Toyota invests $1.33 billion in Kentucky plant – Reuters: Japan’s Toyota Motor Corp said it had invested $1.33 billion in its Kentucky plant as part of the automaker’s plan to invest $10 billion in the United States over the next five years.
- Toyota plans $1.33 billion overhaul of Kentucky plant for next-gen Camry – Automotive News: Toyota says the new architecture will deliver enhanced fuel economy, improved ride and handling, and shorten the development cycle for future…